Friday, August 08, 2008

How the other half lives

Not in my wildest dreams could I describe myself as an obvious denizen of "Britain's Premier Yachting Regatta". But I can sail, sort of, and I ended up crewing on a yacht entered at Cowes Week anyway, as a guest of those awfully nice people at Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, who had chartered three boats for the occasion.


Better still, it was the final day, the one with the fireworks display in the evening, and hospitality in Cowes was thrown in. And I'd never been before. So I was prepared to cast my principles aside - never difficult for a lawyer - and indulge myself in some serious corporate entertainment.

The only thing that slightly worried me was the exaggerated impression that Lloyds TSB had formed of my credentials as racing crew, based on the fact that somebody had told someone else that I'd once come 30th overall in the RTIR. Which conveniently overlooked my ignominious retirement this year - the only other time I'd entered Arabella in the race.

Ah well, it was too late now. I would just have to bluff it. A hurried review of some yacht racing textbooks left me none the wiser, but gave me a large vocabulary of racing slang and terms. I understood paying tack, lift, pressure and left shift. I wasn't too sure what some of other phrases were on about, and I suspected I'd unwittingly picked up some inappropriate Americanisms from the US-centric racing books I'd managed to get hold of.

I needn't have worried. I had a wonderful time.

We were delivered by high-speed rib from Southampton to Cowes Yacht Haven, which was a wicked experience. It got better: I had no idea what sort of boats we were going to be racing until the rib pulled up alongside the entire Clipper fleet and deposited us aboard.


These are the 68-footers that competed in the Clipper Round The World Race 2007-08. I'd never been on anything as big or as fast as this before, and it was an extraordinary experience to crew on one of these wonderful yachts as the entire fleet competed in a genuine race.


Even better, I got to be the staysail trimmer onboard Western Australia, working in the snake pit under the watchful eye of Austin, one of the fleet's three engineers, and picked up a load of helpful tips on sail trim that I'll be able to put to good use on Arabella.


The result? Ahem, moving swiftly on, after the race ended we got the full VIP treatment at the tented village before strolling through a packed, vibrant Cowes to the Royal London Yacht Club for dinner and the best view that money can buy of the Red Arrows display and the fireworks.



A really fantastic day out. I'm already plotting what I have to do to get invited back for next year!