Saturday, June 19, 2010

Round The Island Race 2010

2nd in IRC Division 1C. 7th in IRC Group 1. If you're wondering how Arabella managed that, you're correct: she didn't. This exceptionally good result was achieved by the pithily named Squire Sanders Dempsey Hurricane, an Elan 450 skippered by Brian Thompson of Team Pindar and Vendee Globe fame.

Above: Image copyright Beken of Cowes, used with permission

After three consecutive years of racing Arabella in the RTIR - an experience that, as recounted elsewhere on this blog, is a little bit like spending 10 hours inside a bucking, heaving, washer-dryer - I felt ready for a change. It was also a great opportunity to combine sailing with corporate hospitality. And to practice nav/tac on a much faster boat and a far less forgiving skipper than usual...


Above: Oo-er. No idea what Brian's looking at, but I'd better look interested too in case it's important...

Moving up from the slowest ISC-rated class into IRC Group 1 brought with it some interesting challenges, not least the 0530 start which necessitated being on the boat by 0400. After watching England's dismal World Cup performance against Algeria in the pub in Cowes the night before, and tossing and turning in uncomfortable berths on board for a few hours, it was a bleary-eyed crew that assembled in the cockpit in the pre-dawn darkness, still suffering from the aches and pains of the previous day's practice.


Soon enough, however, we were treated to a glorious sunrise as we positioned ourselves for the start. Everyone's spirits lifted from there on in, and we enjoyed some fantastic downwind sailing in a light, steady, north-easterly on the first leg down to the Needles.




Below:  Two images of SSD Hurricane on the leg down to the Needles, copyright Hamo Thornycroft, used with permission.





For someone like me, who had only ever raced in the thick of the fleet in the RTI, being among the early starters was a revelation. As the pictures show, we were able to sail in relatively clean air for the simple reason that the major part of the fleet was behind us.


Above: It wasn't exactly crowded at the front of the fleet - this was the only boat near us as we rounded St Cat's at about twice the speed that Arabella would normally travel at...

Being in a fast boat not only enabled us to extend our lead over the fleet as the hours went by, but also resulted in a ridiculously fast time round the island - we took 7 hours, 20 minutes and were motoring back into Cowes by lunchtime. We were joking that we felt cheated; we should go round and do it again!


It seems popular among yachties to decry corporate sailing. Sunsail seems to be the target of particular vitriol. It didn't occur to me to disagree with the prevailing view, until I had a go at corporate sailing myself at Cowes Week 2008. I couldn't comment on Sunsail, having never been sailing with them, but last year I organised two corporate sailing events through Ondeck, and this year the number of events has increased to three, with Cowes Week 2010 still to come in a few weeks' time. So I do feel reasonably qualified to say that the prejudice is misplaced. With the arguable exception of Cowes Week 2009 - when there was no wind at all, the tide was adverse, the race was abandoned and the yacht inevitably turned into a floating pub - all I have witnessed is experienced sailors and debutants alike getting a great deal of enjoyment out of these events.


Is corporate sailing 'better' or 'worse' than sailing Arabella? I'd say neither. It's merely different. I don't see myself abandoning Arabella and becoming a full-time sailing client. Corporate sailing is simply an excellent way to enhance the sailing season with a wider range of waterborne activities and, for those that want to, to gain increasing experience and new skills.


I rather doubt that I could have just persuaded a sailor of the calibre of Brian Thompson to take me out on the RTI any other way, no matter much of an unassuming gent he is (which, by the way, he is). I doubt I'd have been tested on nav/tac anything like as much as Brian tested me - including making sure I did my homework before the race. And I doubt I would ever have been able to crew on a boat that achieved such a high position in IRC Group 1. We also raised more than £3,300 for Macmillan Cancer Support, which made it all that much more worth while.




Above: Images copyright Beken of Cowes, used with permission.  Below:  Our GPS track, care of PassagePlus.